FINAL STANDINGS

FINAL STANDINGS!
AS 128
SS 125
JS 122




TM 122
SR 121
TC 121




BW 108
PS 103
DF 100




Sunday, 22 June 2014

GRR, ARGH!

Ghana... really, Germany? The Yanks could handle them despite an injury to, arguably, their best striker, and you couldn't? Okay, the Americans were a tad lucky to escape that one with ANY points let alone all 3, but... REALLY, GERMANY??

GERMANY 2, GHANA 2
Ghana came to play on this day, making up for a disappointing loss to the USA with an exciting end-to-end match against the mighty German juggernaut. They not only managed to tie Germany, but they actually played with the lead after scoring 2 goals early in the second half to put the Germans on the ropes.

Super-sub Bastian Schweinsteiger battles in the mosh pit.
But it was never going to be easy, and Miroslav Klose tied it up at 2 with under 20 minutes to play with his first touch of the match, bringing his impressive tally of scoring in the World Cup to 15 (which ties a record by Brasil's Ronaldo). I won't commment on his somersault, which could've ended REALLY bad (I guess that was a comment in itself).
 
Ayew, the first goal-scorer of the match... (again, what is with these number 10 guys?)
... and Klose, the last goal-scorer of the match. Methinks he'd better be more careful with his celebrations.
Germany will admit to some sloppiness, with some uncharacteristic giveaways by Lahn standing out the most (one of which led to a goal). But credit Ghana for bringing the pressure to knock Germany off-kilter. And Ghana's first goal was a beauty.

'Twas by far one of the most entertaining matches so far (if just for the second half), and the epitome of just how unpredictable this tournament can be.

ARGENTINA 1, IRAN 0
Another sloppy victory for Argentina, as this Messi kid continues to stuff horseshoes up his ass. I don't know how else to explain it. I mean, did this unknown go on a Leprechaun hunt that morning? Throw salt over his shoulder? Does he have a 4-leaf clover surgically implanted in his chest? What is WITH this guy?

Argentina will reward this guy with a real pacifier, made of pure gold, should he ever score again. Unlikely, I say.
It's doubtful even this team of wanna-be players could lose to Iran, but they were fortunate to escape with the win. Most would've predicted an easy 3 points for the ARG-onauts (and most did), but this one had DRAW written all over it until second-half injury time.

And that's when this Messi guy queued it up, sending an incredibly accurate shot (a total fluke) which curled ever so slightly inside the far left post. Had the keeper not been picking his nose and instead paying attention to the play developing in front of him, he would've saved it EASILY.

Even Argentina's fans don't want to be recognised. Let me guess: Grumpy, Bashful, Sneezy, Doc, Happy, Dopey, and Sleepy. Am I right?


So, you know, Argentina got lucky.

NIGERIA 1, BOSNIA/HERZEGOVINA 0
You know, I just hoped Bosnia/Herzegovina would fail to make it out of the group stage just so I wouldn''t have to type the name again. Cripes, it's awkward.

Nigeria slammed Bosnia/Herzegovina's hopes into the dirt with a 1-0 win in Group F.
And it seems my hopes have materialised, with the first ever World Cup match victory of the Super Eagles putting Bosnia/Herzegovina out to pasture. I didn't see this one, but apparently it was pretty tight.

Now, Nigeria need only draw with Argentina to make it through to the next round.

BOB THE JUMPING SPIDER'S INSANE-ON-THE-MEMBRANE PICKS OF THE DAY:
Bob claims he foretold the Italian loss to Costa Rica, I say Bob's full of poop. Or mite-guts. Whatever. NOBODY saw that coming, but I think everyone's paying more attention to Los Ticos now.

BELGIUM 2, RUSSIA 0
KOREA 1, ALGERIA 1
PORTUGAL 1, USA 0


Bob likes Russia's chances, but I'm bullish on Belgium. Korea and Algeria have yet to impress, but the matchup today should be an entertaining one between two closely-matched teams. And I can't see Portugal not rebounding against the USA, despite missing Pepe and with Ronaldo rumoured to be at less than 100%.

No comments:

Post a Comment